With the holidays fast approaching, it becomes even more important to take time out of the day to care for yourself. Self-care is key to self-preservation. If you’re not able to take good care of your needs, how do you expect to take care of other peoples’?
Here are five ways to take good care of your health during the holiday season:
- Schedule some downtime between parties and events. You can’t do it all. No matter how much you want to be there for everyone’s special celebrations, you can’t. You’ll be rundown, tired, and sick if you do. Pick and choose which events and activities you want to go to and politely decline the rest.
- Choose the most nutritious food that is available to eat. It can be very easy to eat the wrong types of food for two months straight. That will not give your body the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients it needs to survive. Instead, choose the healthiest options available. Look for fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, whole grains, and lean sources of protein.
- Get in some exercise while you shop. If you’ve got a lot of holiday shopping to do, put on your sneakers and pedometer and get busy. You’ll be getting a workout by going to and from different stores in the mall and shopping plaza. You’ll be surprised how quickly the steps rack up, too. You’ll burn calories quickly and easily this way.
- Find some natural stress relievers. You’re going to need ways to de-stress after a long day. Do whatever makes you feel good. Make a cup of hot tea and watch an inspiration movie or TV program. Put on soft pajamas and curl up with a good book. Use essential oils to give yourself a foot massage. Personalize your self-care with what makes you feel your best.
- Make sure you get enough rest each night. Sleep is a necessary part of good health and healing. Without it, you become foggy, disoriented, irritated, and even more susceptible to accident and illness. No matter how busy your schedule is, make sure to give yourself enough time to rest adequately.
There are many ways to take good care of your health as the holiday season approaches. One, in particular, stands out. Scheduling a yearly examination with Genesis Women’s Health Services is one way to prepare yourself for the new year. With the fast-paced holidays behind you, you’ll want to do what you can to slow down and prepare for the next year’s appointments and activities.