If you’re considering starting a family, there are some things you’ll want to do to prepare your body for pregnancy. Working closely with a gynecologist like Dr. Wilburn of Genesis Women’s Health Services is highly recommended. She can provide you with the knowledge and guidance needed to have a healthy, happy pregnancy.
Here are five easy steps which will help you start family planning:
- Come up with a plan on how to make it happen. If finances are a concern for you, start saving now. If you have weight to lose, start becoming nutritionally fit now.
- See your gynecologist. Dr. Wilburn will want to discuss your health history as well as any medical conditions that you or an immediate family member may have had. She will speak to you about difficulties you’ve had conceiving before, medications that you’re taking, vaccinations that you’ll want to have prior to conceiving, and vitamins you can take to help prevent birth defects.
- Start taking Folic Acid now. You’ll want to make sure that you get 400 micrograms of the B vitamin right away. It is important that you keep your folic acid levels high at least a month before and during pregnancy. It helps prevent major birth defects involving the child’s brain and spine.
- Don’t drink, smoke or do drugs. Toxic substances can cause complications in pregnancy. Remember that whatever you absorb, your baby does, too. If you need assistance quitting, ask Dr. Wilburn for resources to contact for support.
- Get rid of the toxic chemicals in your home. Get rid of the toxicity in and around your home and yard as much as possible. Do not handle synthetic chemicals, metals, fertilizer, and bug spray. Have someone else handle the litter box, too. You cannot be around these harmful substances without hurting your child.
If you want to grow your family, there are some things you’ll want to start doing now. Dr. Wilburn can help answer your gynecology questions and schedule you an appointment to discuss how to carry a healthy baby. It’s important that you schedule an appointment with Genesis Women’s Health Services so proper examinations will help ensure the health possible.